Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts

This may seem surprising when I tell you that I've never made made chocolate chip cookies from scratch. It's true, I wouldn't even know where to begin. So when a friend asked me to make them with walnuts as it was his favorite cookie ever, I ended up spending an entire afternoon sifting through recipes before I able to put together something that may just work with gluten free flours.

I'll go out on a limb here when I say that I think the first batch was amazing! I ended up eating 3 cookies as they came out of the oven... whoops probably should have saved some for the person that requested it....

There may be a few things I may substitute or change later on but for now I think this is a solid chocolate chip walnut cookie recipe that everyone should try!

{First batch!}

{I didn't used parchment paper the first round, but did the second time around. NOTE: USE PARCHMENT PAPER. Results will be much better.}

{Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts}

Ingredients:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, soften
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup of gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (dissolved in a teaspoon of hot water)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Beat in egg and vanilla.
4. Add dissolved baking soda. 
5. Stir in flour and xanthan gum
6. Mix in chocolate chips and walnuts.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These cookies were great!!
    Most of the gf recipes I've tried have come out dry and dense.
    These came out very light and crispy - yet moist in the centers.
    I did add raisin, toasted coconut, and cut back on the sugar by half.
    This recipe is a keeper!!!!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete