Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Peruvian Weekend

I took a break from cooking last week and weekend, which is abnormal of me, but I have to admit that I have now fallen in love with Peruvian food. Maybe it'll even inspire a vacation there someday. 

Peruvian food is great for those that are GF as the three traditional staples of Peruvian cuisine are corn, potatoes, and ajies(chilis). They are often combined with rice, wheat (which is easily substituted in many dishes), meats and seafood. 

Last Friday I had a great dinner at La Mar as my friend had recommended this place a while back and I have to say that 4 of the 5 things that we ordered was rather tasty. I'll try not to sound like a fish snob when I say this.... mahi mahi is an okay fish as it takes on flavor well and it's inexpensive in comparison to other fish, but if you are going out to a nice restaurant order something else. Order fish such as sea bass or halibut, something that actually has a taste to it. On a more positive note I LOVED their North Peruvian seafood combination with mussels, shrimp, octopus, and fried rice topped with cilantro and their huancaina sauce. You can bet that I will go back there again and figure out how to make that sauce! Sadly I can't share any pictures with anyone as I was too busy eating and forgot to take some pictures ... I know I know I can't believe that I forgot too since I always have my phone with me everywhere I go. 


On Sunday we went to La Costanera, which is located 21 miles outside of SF. Totally worth the drive though as you can stay on Highway 1 and take the scenic route. The menu had a similar setup to La Mar with an additional section for Paella, which was a great surprise as I am been wanting to have a paella party for a long time now but don't have the right tools or set up to do something like that. Some of you may wonder if Paella is a Peruvian dish or not and I would like to make note that Peruvian cuisine had many influences from Spain, China, Italy, West Africa, and Japan so in a sense it could be considered a Peruvian cuisine. 


I did remember to take a picture of my two favorite dishes of the night though! After you're done cleaning the drool off your chin from the picture below, I highly suggest you go to yelp.com and search for the nearest Peruvian restaurant to where you live and try it out!!


Seriously though, go out and be adventurous and try this out, especially the grilled octopus, I've never had a bad meal when ordering octopus. 


The top dish is Sirloin steak with crispy potato & chimichurri.
The bottom dish is Grilled baby octopus marinated in aderezo peruano with papa seco (carapulcra).



No comments:

Post a Comment