Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Potato Torte

This {Potato Torte} is a very special dish to me since I only eat it once a year, on Easter Sunday. This tradition started when I was going to college in Seattle and was always made by my dear friend Debbie. Now that I'm in SF, I've decided that it's time for me to find the recipe and start making it myself every year on Easter. 

This dish is quite delicious and VERY filling. I recommend this recipe for potlucks, dinner parties, or anything that requires feeding lots of people, and not just on Easter! Just note that it does take about 2 hours to cook, so plan accordingly. 

Once you've made this once, I'm willing to bet anything that your friends and family will BEG you to make it again!! 

{All ready to go in the oven for 2 hours}

{Looks yummy!!! Must wait till it cools down...}

{Ready for my first bite!}

** I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but it was scanned and sent to me. I also wish I could give credit to it's rightful owner but I don't know where my friend got it from either! But here is the exact recipe, enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes
1 pound Gruyere cheese 
1 pound baked ham 
l large sweet red pepper 
l egg plus 2 egg yolks 
4 cups heavy cream
l teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach 
1 medium onion, minced 
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Directions:
1. Peel potatoes; slice thin and set aside in a large bowl of cool
water, Grate the Gruyere and set aside. Slice ham and red pepper 
into thin strips. 

2. Combine the whole egg, yolks, cream, and salt and pepper in a
large bowl, Drain the potatoes and add to the cream mixture. 

3. Thaw and drain spinach well. ln a small bowl, combine spinach
with onion and mustard.

4. Preheat oven to 325°. 

5. Place a thin layer of potatoes and cheese over the bottom of a 
buttered 9 X 13-inch casserole. Drizzle a small amount of the 
cream mixture over the potatoes and cheese. Top with ham 
strips. 

6. Make a second layer of potatoes, cheese and cream. Top this with 
the spinach mixture. 

7. Spread remaining potatoes, cheese and cream over spinach 
mixture. Top with strips of red pepper. 

8. Bake the torte in a 325° oven for Z hours. Do not cover. The top 
should be well browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment