Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Brussels Spout Slaw with Walnuts


I'm determine to incorporate brussels sprouts into my weekly menu! Why? The answer is simple, I read somewhere that brussels sprouts help with cancer prevention. While I'm not the type of person to be SUPER careful about what I eat and don't always eat healthy foods, I will try my best to keep my meals nice and balanced. 


We've been eating a lot of asparagus lately so switching it up with brussels sprouts was a change I was ready to embrace. This slaw was surprisingly tasty for a cold dish. My brussels sprouts are usually sauteed or roasted so I didn't know what to expect. I think many of you will be surprised as well with this tasty version that I found in Bon Appetit. I changed it up a little and used walnuts instead of pecans and I sliced it thinly as I didn't have a food processor to slice the sprouts for me. 


This is also another dish you can make ahead of time to take to a dinner party or when you're hosting one at home as the longer it sits in the dressing, the better it tastes!! So go to the store and pick some up and start fighting cancer!!



Brussels sprout slaw with walnuts

Ingredients:
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup whole grain dijon mustard (regular dijon mustard was just fine)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1.5 lbs of brussels sprouts, trimmed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325. 
2. Whisk maple syrup, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add walnuts, toss and coat well.
3. Spread in a single layer on a piece of parchment paper (or foil) lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, stir. Continue to make for another 6 minutes until the glaze is bubbly. Take the nuts out of the oven and let cook completely. This can be done ahead of time. 

4. Whisk mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. 

5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous about of salt. Add brussels sprouts. Cook until they are crisp but tender (about 5 minutes). Drain. Rinse with cold water. Cool on paper towels.
6. Slice into 1/4 inch disks and transfer to a large serving bowl. Cover and let chill in refrigerator. 
7. An hour before you are about read to serve, toss brussels sprouts with enough dressing to coat (not all is needed). Let marinate for 30-60 minutes. Mix in nuts. Enjoy!!



1 comment: