Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Potato Salmon Hash Topped with Poached Eggs

This meal came about because we had so much leftovers from the last few days. I'll admit that this isn't my most creative idea ever, but it is one of best dishes I've created with leftovers by far! We had some roasted potatoes and salmon leftover from my "fan favorite" dinner and it had been untouched in the fridge for two days so I knew that something had to be done and I was STARVING as I skipped breakfast that morning. So I skimmed the fridge to see if I could find a few extra ingredients to tie a meal together ..... I saw eggs, bacon, and onions and immediately knew I had the makings of a really good brunch for one!

At first I thought about doing a scramble that included everything but that just didn't sound all that exciting. Then I realized that I wanted something that was "sauce-like" and knew the answer was to poach some eggs. The richness of the runny yolk is a great addition to the potato salmon hash!

What makes this dish so great is that the salmon was already marinated and cooked and the potatoes were roasted with great seasonings from the previous day. So both ingredients had great flavor to begin with. The bacon and egg yolk take it to a whole new level though! Try your own variation the next time you have some leftovers and have a hunger for a great meal!

Ready to eat.

Had to cut into the poached egg to show you what a perfectly poached egg should look like ;)
I topped it with a little bit of siracha sauce for a spicy kick. 

Potato Salmon Hash Topped with Poached Eggs

Ingredients:
- 4 ounces of cooked salmon, cut into smaller pieces
- 1/4 cup of onion, chopped
- 2 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup of diced up roasted potatoes
- 2 eggs
- siracha (if you like a little spice)

Directions:
1. Fry up two slices of bacon that have been cut up into smaller pieces. After they have reached a crispy  state, remove from pan with a slotted spoon to a paper towel liked plate. Set aside.
2. Bring a medium pot of water with a splash of lemon or vinegar to a boil.
3. Remove most of the bacon grease from pan and add the chopped onion and saute until browned. Should only take about 5 minutes on medium and then add the diced roasted potatoes and saute until warm. 
4. Crack both eggs carefully into a cup without breaking the yolk.
5. Return to boiling pot of water, turn down to medium after it reaches a boil. Use a whisk and create a whirl pool effect and add one egg at a time to pot of water and cook for 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and remove poached eggs once it is cooked. 
6. Add cut up pieces of salmon and bacon into pan with potatoes and onions. Continue to cook on medium until both eggs are ready. 
7. Remove hash from pan to a serving plate. Top with both of the poached eggs. Salt and pepper to taste and drizzle siracha sauce if you like a little spice! Enjoy!

If the directions are a little confusing, let me know and I will find a better way to explain it!! Thanks! 



1 comment:

  1. Delicious. Doesn't help that I am STARVING right now. Make my wrap faster Clinton... FASTER.

    ReplyDelete