Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Champagne

 When ordering liquor I like to play it safe cause I am easily disappointed and end up wishing I ordered the glass of Chardonnay that I normally order. So I thought I would highlight some of my "go-to" drinks that I know won't disappoint!


Today I would like to highlight: CHAMPAGNE.


There is something about champagne, maybe it's the clinking of flutes, the bubbles, or just the fact that people are ALWAYS smiling when drinking it. I always think of my dear friend and her dad when I drink champagne as they introduced me to the French 75 years ago and asked her to write a little something about our favorite drink, enjoy! 




It is starry skies in a tulip. It is champagne!

While we all can agree that a simple glass of champagne is perfection in itself, having the options of a little GF pizzazz can never hurt. Below are my two favorite cocktails that just happen to use champagne as a base:

The French 75.

 Named during WWI after the heavy French artillery canon, this cocktail too, can blow your brains out.  The Americans had their sugar, the British their gin, and the French, well, isn’t it obvious?  Some may have the unfortunate knowledge that this cocktail is traditionally used with cognac. Well, it is not. And I will fight anyone who thinks differently.

The key to this cocktail is a cool champagne flute and a little sugar. Muddle a teaspoon of sugar, juice of half a lemon and a jigger of good gin (I prefer Hendricks—also GF).  Fill flute 1/3 of the way with mixture then fill flute to its entirety with champagne.  Add a nice long double twist of lemon zest and enjoy!

Traditional Champagne cocktail.
“I thought only hookers drank those.”
“Well, I know Mom sure likes them.”  ~Blast from the Past

This could possibly be the simplest of cocktails, yet so resplendent (and yes, my mother does in fact like these).The combination of the bitters and champagne is surprisingly pleasing. The one thing that is often used, but entirely optional, is cognac. Simply drop the sugar cube at the bottom of the flute and dash about 3 drops of Angostura bitters. Allow this to soak. Fill flute with champagne, add a splash of cognac, and finish with a twist of lemon.

Please be reminded that with these cocktails, just use the best of the cheapest champagne you can find. But eschew any champagne that is not fermented in the bottle.  After all, you’re mixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment