Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Best Easy Chili

Due to the recent chilly weather I found myself looking at various chili recipes..... award-winning, cowboy, blue ribbon, many that included green pepper (YUCK) .... so many choices! I've decided that it was my mission to perfect 2-3 different chili recipes. Yesterday I decided to tackle (is it really tackling if it was EASY?) my Best Easy Chili recipe.

Initially I was going to use ground beef but then detoured towards ground pork for two reasons: 
1) We were given some delicious ground pork last weekend. 
2) I wanted to try something a little healthier this time around. 

Things I knew that weren't going to be in this chili recipe were green pepper and onions (a little won't hurt right?). Since I live with someone that does not like onion I had to make the compromise that I would only use half an onion and cut it in bigger chunks so he could pick it out. Also I can always top my chili with extra onion before eating too, which I highly suggest for those that do like to have that extra crunch in their chili. 


Best Easy Chili
- 1 lb of ground pork (ground beef, chicken, ground turkey is okay too)
- 1/2 of an onion diced (more for toppings if you would like)
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-1 can of black beans
-1 can of kidney beans
-1 can of hominy
- 1 4-oz can of diced green chilies
-1 can of GF chicken stock
-1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese

Directions:
1. In a big pot saute diced onions and ground pork until pork is cooked through and in small pieces.
2. Season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper - cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, canned tomatoes, blk beans, kidney beans, hominy, and green chilies.
4. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 45 minutes or longer if you want to develop more flavor. 
5. Place in soup bowl, top with cheese and onions, enjoy!

It truly was that easy. I even tasted it a few times to see if I needed to add more ingredients, but the chili tasted great. Try it out and let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment