Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Thai Spareribs

Forget everything you know about BBQ ribs because the most amazing Thai spare ribs don't require any sort of BBQ at all!


I was turned on to this recipe by a friend that has tested this recipe out two other times and she had some valuable tips for me. She warned me that when she saw this in the Bon Appetit magazine that it was a little daunting at first but it turned out to be much simpler, if you take in consideration that it has to be marinated for 24 hours in advance.


After looking at the recipe I realized I could simply swap out a few ingredients and use gluten free versions and I should be on my way to having some delicious Thai spareribs!


* I used gluten free soy sauce.
** I couldn't find any lemongrass, so I used 2 tablespoon of lemongrass paste (you can find it in the produce area in, in the same area as fresh herbs). Which turned out great!
***I only used 4 tablespoons of soy sauce rather than the 6 tablespoons that was blended in with the coconut milk.
**** For the 2nd round of braising before eating, I only braised the ribs for 1 hour vs 1 1/2 hours as instructed.


Ingredients for the marinade.


Ribs braised (1st round) and in marinade, see you in 24 hours!


Sesame-Cilantro Sticky Rice.


Thai Spareribs! They were falling off the bone good!

Ingredients:
  • 6 pounds meaty spareribs (about 2 racks), cut into 2-rib portions
  • Boiling water
  • 2 large lemongrass stalks (I used 2 tablespoons of lemongrass paste instead)
  • 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (use gluten free. I also only added 4 rather than 6 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup dry Sherry
  • 2 tablespoons Thai peanut sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
  • 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
  • 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk   

  • Sesame - Cilantro Sticky Rice:
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice (about 9 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 1/2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil (I used vegetable oil instead)
  • 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
  • 8 large green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted 


  • Please click click here for the instructions! Please enjoy as I know I will be making this over and over for years to come!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment