Heading

Welcome to my Gluttonous Gluten Free Life!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Curried pumpkin soup

Bear with me for the next few days as I try to backlog some of the recipes that I have tested before posting more currently recipes and pictures! 


My curried pumpkin soup came to life when we took a trip to the Lemos Farm pumpkin patch. It was Lucy's (my best friends 2 year old daughter that I take care of) first trip to the pumpkin patch and we told her she could pick out any pumpkin her little heart desired and that is exactly what she did! We never got around to carving a cute or scary face on it so I thought it was time to break it down and make some soup!




Curried Pumpkin Soup - approx 1.5 hours

-       4 tablespoon unsalted butter
-       2 medium yellow onions chopped
-       2 teaspoons minced garlic
-       1/8 – ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
-       2 teaspoon curry powder
-       ½ teaspoon ground coriander (cumin is okay)
-       pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
-       3 cans of 100% pumpkin  or 6 cups of freshly roasted pumpkin
-       5 cups of chicken broth (make sure it's gf)
-       2 cups of milk
-       ½ cup of brown sugar
-       ½ cup of heavy cream (optional if you're trying to be healthy, as you can just use more milk)

Note: if you are roasting the pumpkins, cut pumpkin in small same sized pieces, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and roast in oven at 350F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Directions:
1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy. I have some pumpkins my husband grew in the garden . I have never cooked with pumpkins and so might try this recipe this weekend! I think the pumpkins are still good to use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it!!! I have to admit that I have not cooked with pumpkins and they were a lot of work to clean and roast etc. But the soup is yummy. Anxious to follow along and try more recipes!!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I forgot to mention that croutons are a great addition if you are looking for that crunch factor.

      I just cut up a few slices of the GF bread that I had and toasted it with some olive oil until it was nice and crispy.

      Delete